04. Abduction
05. Afterlife
06. Collapsing In Violence
07. Tower Of Babel
08. Blood Runs
09. The Extinction Of Flesh
10. Legacy Of The Ancients
11. Saturn Brotherhood

On random occasions, in the sweaty hurricane of a mosh-pit, the scheming metal gods make second-rate metal bands sound first-rate. Blame dizziness, if you want, blame deafness. But you'd be being foolishly rational. The metal gods exist. They exist and they have a sick sense of humor.

Drunk and belligerent, the familiar death metal sound kept me in a small pit throughout Pathology's set at the "To Hell with God Tour." They kept it short, snorting a few insults at the still gathering crowd in between the few songs they played. I liked their set. Actually, I more-than-liked it, and sauntered over to the merch table and bought their newest CD before the second band took the stage. "Keep this feeling alive!" I thought. Get me another beer!

Well. When my alcohol buzz wore off and I had been brutalized by Deicide's strangely obese fan base, I had barely enough energy to go to my car and play Legacy of the Ancients, my new favorite album. I made it, however, played it, and didn't like it. Not one bit. Maybe I'm just tired, I thought. Played it the next morning. Didn't like it. Played it in the afternoon, didn't like it. Played it at night (and almost all albums sound better at night). It sucked and sucked harder than an Oreck vacuum in space. The metal gods betrayed me.

Almost every song sounds the same. In fact, double takes will almost invariably be made when tracks end and then, seemingly, start over. And over. The guitar work sounds the same. The vocals sound the exact same. The drumming sounds the same. Put a pinch harmonic here, and scrub some triplets in there. Mumble-growl some gibberish about zombies. And repeat. It's all fairly brutal, yes, but it's tedious. Very tedious. After three tracks, assuming you haven't sold your metal CDs and developed an affinity for, say, baseball card collecting and Usher, you'll likely be reaching for Pierced From Within to put on for yet another spin. Legacy is the sort of album that makes you appreciate the classics. It's the sort of album that makes one pessimistic, nostalgic, and pissed the fuck off.

Even if you're in the mood for some unassuming, death metal, don't bother with it. While simplicity has its charms, its charms are limited. If an album is both overly simplistic and unoriginal, there's little that can be said in its favor. Legacy of the Ancients borrows the old brutal death metal formula, uses it, and contributes nothing to its evolution as a genre. What's that you say? You like brutal death as it is? Well, even in that case, there's nothing Pathology does that, say, Suffocation or Dying Fetus don't do, and do exponentially better. And those are just the big names.

But allow me to be positive for a moment. Pathology does, if my memory serves, put on a fun show. They also, insofar as they have a formula, know their brutal death metal. A little variation, however, not only wouldn't have hurt, it would've helped Legacy escape the 4's and, maybe, enter the 5's. Nevertheless, you get my point. That's a 4.9, comrades. Avoid.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written by wormdrink414 | 09.03.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 66 users
09.03.2011 - 18:13
MechanisT
Account deleted
Avoid as in it's-so-friggin'-bad-that-I've-got-to-check-it-out-anyways-just-for-curiosity's-sake avoid?
09.03.2011 - 22:21
wormdrink414

Written by Guest on 09.03.2011 at 18:13

Avoid as in it's-so-friggin'-bad-that-I've-got-to-check-it-out-anyways-just-for-curiosity's-sake avoid?

Exactly.
10.03.2011 - 06:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
A very average slam death album, but not worthy of something as low as a 4.9 if you ask me. Obviously they've strayed a little from their first two, but they still release some decent shit - it's just not anything memorable at this point.

Probably a 5.7 or 6.0 for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.03.2011 - 15:03
Thryce
Retired Staff
Whadda ya mean, avoid? Pathology is a great easy start to get into the genre of slam death.

The band isn't contributing anything to the evolution of the genre simply because that's not the point of slam. At all. In fact, slam is all about br00tality, groovy breakdowns and repetitiveness.

At least you got the influenced by Suffocation part right.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.03.2011 - 16:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I agree with Thryce, although I'd focus more on any of their previous releases. I have both Age of Onset and Incisions of Perverse Debauchery and both put this album to shame (not to mention they sound better than Blood Oath).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.03.2011 - 22:41
wormdrink414

Written by Thryce on 13.03.2011 at 15:03

Whadda ya mean, avoid? Pathology is a great easy start to get into the genre of slam death.

The band isn't contributing anything to the evolution of the genre simply because that's not the point of slam. At all. In fact, slam is all about br00tality, groovy breakdowns and repetitiveness.

At least you got the influenced by Suffocation part right.

I just don't hear anything in this album that isn't done considerably better by the more established acts. I've gone back and listened to Pathology's old albums and they are decent. Probably should have avoided attacking the band and focused on the album. BUT, Legacy really is a piece of shit. There's repetitive and 9-5-thumb-twiddling repetitive, and this would fall into the second category. I should have said "Avoid. But give their old shit a chance." I stick by the 4.9, though.

I didn't mean to suggest that everyone should avoid Pathology. Everyone should avoid Legacy.

And then, several months later: Yeah so I'm not going to stick by the 4.9 anymore. Maybe a high 6, low 7 for me now. I've been playing this quite a bit lately. Repetitive as fuck, but in a kinda enjoyable way.

EDIT 2: Kinda enjoyable sometimes.
14.09.2019 - 16:13
Rating: 10
thewall30

Completely disagree with this review, I find this to be an extremely fun listen plus it's a short album, I'm a sucker for Matti Way's vocals hes a legend!
----

Hits total: 4796 | This month: 4