Metal Storm logo
Exhorder - Bassist Passed Away

Bassist Frankie Sparcello of reactivated New Orleans groove metallers Exhorder has passed away yesterday (Tuesday, March 22nd). More information will be made available shortly.

Sparcello joined Exhorder prior to the recording sessions for the band's sophomore album, The Law, released in 1992. The group broke up a short time later and reformed with its original lineup a few years later (and repeated that process a couple of times). Sparcello rejoined Exhorder in 2009 and was scheduled to perform with the band at this year's Maryland Deathfest IX, set to take place May 26-29, 2011 at Sonar in Baltimore.

[Thanks to Baz Anderson for the tip!]

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Exhorder
Posted: 23.03.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 19   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 180 users
23.03.2011 - 11:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And another one.
Btw I'd rather call Exhorder thrashers instead of groove metallers. That last term has such a negative connotation.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2011 - 11:54
Baz Anderson

Sad news indeed, I hope it doesn't stop Exhorder becoming active again.
23.03.2011 - 11:58
Bastard Child

R.I.P. dude.
thanks for the music.
----
Allt E Skit
23.03.2011 - 12:13
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 11:53

And another one.

Indeed. RIP!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
23.03.2011 - 12:30
Mikyz

Death count keeps going up. People dying has become a weekly routine in metal.

I don;t know what to say anymore really.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
23.03.2011 - 12:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

And another one.
Btw I'd rather call Exhorder thrashers instead of groove metallers. That last term has such a negative connotation.

I think some people refer to them as the fathers of groove. While modern groove indeed carries a negative connotation, these guys were a lot more aggressive and sounded a lot tighter than most groove bands these days.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.03.2011 - 12:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.03.2011 at 12:46

And another one.

I think some people refer to them as the fathers of groove. While modern groove indeed carries a negative connotation, these guys were a lot more aggressive and sounded a lot tighter than most groove bands these days.

I knwo somehow people regard them as fathers of groove, which would only apply to the Law (which was quite mediocre imo) and not Slaughter In The Vatican (that one is pure aggressive thrash)
There is a lot of revisionism going on regarding this band and its so-called influence.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2011 - 13:26
RavenKing

They don't mention the circumstances.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
23.03.2011 - 13:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 23.03.2011 at 13:26

They don't mention the circumstances.

It says that more information will be made available shortly.

This is sad news of course.

I do feel that "The Law" has become quite an overrated album these days, and I definitely dont think Pantera copied them, despite what many try and suggest. "Slaughter In The Vatican" is a great album though. xD
23.03.2011 - 14:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2011 at 13:59

I do feel that "The Law" has become quite an overrated album these days, and I definitely dont think Pantera copied them, despite what many try and suggest. "Slaughter In The Vatican" is a great album though. xD

Exactly. Exhorder and Phil were great friends and probably influenced each other.
I remember that on the Slaughter In The Vatican tour Kyle telling me to check out Pantera's new stuff cause that was awesome music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2011 - 14:40
Maudraum

Another? Sadly enough it does seem to be a weekly thing now. Fucking shame.
23.03.2011 - 14:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 14:10
Exactly. Exhorder and Phil were great friends and probably influenced each other.
I remember that on the Slaughter In The Vatican tour Kyle telling me to check out Pantera's new stuff cause that was awesome music.

Yep! There's a difference between "being influenced by", and "ripping off". Though Exhorder were probably just as much influenced by Pantera as the other way around. Anyhows, "The Law" was released in 1992, so I fail to see how that could really have been that much of an influence on Pantera. CFH had already been released 2 years prior to that, and "A Vulgar Display Of Power" was actually released before "The Law", and both were released in the same year.

Besides, I've never thought that Pantera sounded much like Exhorder at all, so where some imagined Pantera had "ripped them off", I'll never know.
23.03.2011 - 14:56
Sword_Chant

Not listened to this band before but its sad to hear more terrible news RIP
23.03.2011 - 16:11
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Yeah, maybe you're not aware of it yet, but metalheads die too. RIP Frankie.
23.03.2011 - 16:36
@gent_-_orange

[url][/url]
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2011 at 14:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 14:10

Yep! There's a difference between "being influenced by", and "ripping off". Though Exhorder were probably just as much influenced by Pantera as the other way around. Anyhows, "The Law" was released in 1992, so I fail to see how that could really have been that much of an influence on Pantera. CFH had already been released 2 years prior to that, and "A Vulgar Display Of Power" was actually released before "The Law", and both were released in the same year.

Besides, I've never thought that Pantera sounded much like Exhorder at all, so where some imagined Pantera had "ripped them off", I'll never know.

I think the band were influenced by Exhorder in some ways, At least Phil, was as you can see by this pic

Its not like he is denying the fact they were an influence to them. Influenced by ? Probably..... Stole Their Sound ? No way.. Saying the band directly ripped them off most of the times comes off as the historical revisionism that makes Pantera a target for the TROO'er than thou Elitists that populate the MA review's of Pantera albums.

Ranting aside though .... its a shame their bassist has passed away RIP man
23.03.2011 - 20:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pantera were hardly a rip off band, they did far more with the sound than Exhorder did, who were kinda bland if you ask me.

I didn't realise the term groove metal had become a slur. It isn't to me anyway. I guess I don't hang around the MA forums enough.

Anyway RIP dude.
23.03.2011 - 22:19
Thrash666

Fuck. R.I.P. Brother
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
23.03.2011 - 22:58
Aeonfrost

Again, another one, R.I.P
26.03.2011 - 16:41