02. Pentagram And Crucifix
03. Conviction
04. The Way Beyond
05. Possession
06. Black To Gold
07. There Is Nowhere
08. Haunted Hunted
09. All Abandon

If anything, Christian Mistress have got class...A certain tastefulness. Throwback heavy metal like this usually comes in two forms; the first being the bands that know this revivalist shit is silly, and refuse to become anything more than a nostalgic joke. The second variety are the bands that take it too seriously, and refuse to admit good music has been made after 1989. Christian Mistress on the other hand are a band of very down-to-earth classic heavy metal sounds; you can tell they take their work seriously, yet aren't afraid to make it super fun.

If you don't like old school heavy metal revivalism, you can just leave now. No, Possession isn't an album of strictly cornered-in nostalgia, but it is obvious what kind of heavy metal fans they're targeting. Christian Mistress play a stripped-down NWOBHM type sound with a touch of that stoner metal edge. When you hit play on this album, two things come to mind; these riffs rule, and; this chicks voice is awesome. It's basically Barn Burner-meets-NWOBHM-esque riffs, with smoky vocals that will probably appeal to those who enjoy the likes of Farida Lemouchi of The Devil's Blood.

Unfortunately, as thoroughly enjoyable as this album is, it still comes across the same sort of problem that most bands of this variety face; the "I've heard this before" syndrome. It seems like it's a foregone conclusion that this problem is something inherent to all types throwback music. It's something you should come to expect. Granted, the riffs are solid enough to keep it flowing, but there are a small handful of moments where the only distinct part of the music is the vocals of Christine Davis, who is probably one of the most unique vocalists in metal today.

Christian Mistress are another band that doesn't really push any envelopes, but manage to make up for any lack of innovation with just pure, solid songwriting and performance.

Written on 26.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 199 users
26.02.2012 - 14:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I liked the debut a lot so will have so acquire this.
27.02.2012 - 02:22
Rating: 8
strade
It's definitely a great album. Christine Davis is sexy.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
27.02.2012 - 12:25
Rating: 7
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Sooo, good heavy metal, you say. Might as well check it out.
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.02.2012 - 12:48
Rating: 9
BudDa
elite
I love this band!!! I had no idea they had any new material out. Their debut album was superb and this one is something that I must check out. Thanx for the review and the update!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
27.02.2012 - 13:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
While on their bandcamp two songs are streaming online and one of it starts with a crazy ass post-Motorhead riffs in "Haunted Hunted" has led me to check this album fucking out.
27.02.2012 - 17:36
PocketMetal
I just can't say no to good female vocals
and yeah I absolutely enjoyed The Devil's Blood latest , so I'll probably love this too.
28.02.2012 - 09:48
Metal_Buff
WOW this is currently rocking my socks off! I'll bet this blows my co-workers minds tomorrow (all musicians), they're just not digging Dying Fetus... Standout performances on every instrument, sick riffs backed by driving bass, and that sexy, smoky voice... *think un-sexy thoughts, think un-sexy thoughts*
02.03.2012 - 10:58
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
After one listen, I really liked this, and I agree with the review and the rating. While there is that "heard-it-before" feeling, still they manage to make their OWN music, and that stonery feel and smoky vocals add some originality.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.03.2012 - 04:51
Mattybu
I really like this one actually, good review. Sounds worth a buy based on the songs I listened to. Just has a nice feeling about it.
09.03.2012 - 23:19
pyrz
Wow, this sounds too good to be true - instant buy
19.04.2012 - 23:21
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Yeah, I cannot stop listening to this on bandcamp. Amazing classic metal, and the atmosphere and mood is precisely what it needs to be.

Just ordered the CD
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
20.04.2012 - 05:56
The Galactician
I liked their last one but I absolutely love this record. They really sound like one of the best of the Metal Blade bands circa 1980something.
22.05.2012 - 04:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Wow, what a nice surprise! that's a great singer for sure, loved the vocal performance.

I'll surely buy this if/when I find it!
22.05.2012 - 07:35
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 22.05.2012 at 04:51

I'll surely buy this if/when I find it!

This adds to my collection too. On a first listen I doubt i won't even go further to check it out their newer stuff but as i went for couple of spins, I thought it''ll be great to give it a "benefit of doubt" and adds this album to my collection. A very scratchy-filled-vocals but it outdo when it comes to overall performance.

Hits total: 5564 | This month: 8