Metal Storm logo
Slayer the thread, Reprise

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 19.10.2007 - 22:39
Original thread to the mighty SLAYER was locked due to size. Continue any discussions here.
21.05.2011 - 09:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.05.2011 at 07:12

I still own the Live Intrusion VHS. xD

i think i may appear, however briefly, in that VHS. i'm bald/skinhead (not the goosestepping kind) at the time... good show. my roommate caught the drummer for Machinehead's stick when he tossed it out. Max from Sepultura was there to help Biohazard on their set. one of the better concerts i ever attended.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.05.2011 - 20:47
Ghostdancer

Written by BitterCOld on 21.05.2011 at 06:51

Written by Ghostdancer on 21.05.2011 at 05:22

Imho...they really do deliver live. Every Slayer show I've been to has been excellent. Even though they're getting older, they still put out an aggressive energy that feeds the crowd. And that's another thing...at every Slayer show I've been to the whole crowd seems to be into it. I've never seen those guys who are "too cool" to enjoy it and stand around with their arms crossed. Man, part of what makes a live show great is the crowd's reaction. I really hope their age doesn't fuck with their live performances for a while longer. I'd like to see them play a few more shows.

you're my age and from the same general area... where you at the Live Intrusion gig they taped for VHS at Mesa Amphitheater? that was a good fucking show.

Same age, definitely the same area and we have the same first name. You know this is one of those fucked up things I hate to admit...but I didn't make THAT show...of all shows. My brother and five of my friends were there...as a matter of fact my brother got a minor back injury at that show but was too drunk to feel it until the next day. lol But I DID have a ticket for the show. I just got stuck driving 120 miles to that "other" city for what turned out to be a bogus crisis. Then I had to suffer for a month as everyone kept telling me how kickass it was.

But since we're from the same area...I've got to know this. I have seen them at Mesa Amphitheater numerous times, I've seen them at Club Rio, I've seen them at Veterans Memorial Coliseum (for The Clash of the Titans show in 1991) and at Desert Sky/Cricket/Whatever-the-fuck-they're-calling-it-now Pavilion... My question is which venue do you like better for a Slayer show? I prefer Mesa Amphiteater myself. THe Pavilion is closer to where I live, but there's something about the set up that makes it a less memorable venue. I've seen a lot of shows there and it just sucks imo. Maybe it's the fucking seats, I don't know. Mesa Amphitheater was just a better vibe...and no seats in the way. I've seen a lot of concerts there too and I remember them much better than the ones at the Pavilion.

One other question...do you remember a little club on McClintock called The Asylum? I don't know when they closed it down, but there were a lot of good death metal bands that played there in the early '90s. I know from some of your posts you were in the military so I don't know if you were stateside then or not...I was just wondering if we had seen some of the same shows.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
21.05.2011 - 21:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Ghostdancer on 21.05.2011 at 20:47

Same age, definitely the same area and we have the same first name. You know this is one of those fucked up things I hate to admit...but I didn't make THAT show...of all shows. My brother and five of my friends were there...as a matter of fact my brother got a minor back injury at that show but was too drunk to feel it until the next day. lol But I DID have a ticket for the show. I just got stuck driving 120 miles to that "other" city for what turned out to be a bogus crisis. Then I had to suffer for a month as everyone kept telling me how kickass it was.

But since we're from the same area...I've got to know this. I have seen them at Mesa Amphitheater numerous times, I've seen them at Club Rio, I've seen them at Veterans Memorial Coliseum (for The Clash of the Titans show in 1991) and at Desert Sky/Cricket/Whatever-the-fuck-they're-calling-it-now Pavilion... My question is which venue do you like better for a Slayer show? I prefer Mesa Amphiteater myself. THe Pavilion is closer to where I live, but there's something about the set up that makes it a less memorable venue. I've seen a lot of shows there and it just sucks imo. Maybe it's the fucking seats, I don't know. Mesa Amphitheater was just a better vibe...and no seats in the way. I've seen a lot of concerts there too and I remember them much better than the ones at the Pavilion.

One other question...do you remember a little club on McClintock called The Asylum? I don't know when they closed it down, but there were a lot of good death metal bands that played there in the early '90s. I know from some of your posts you were in the military so I don't know if you were stateside then or not...I was just wondering if we had seen some of the same shows.

in phoenix, i think i've only seen them at Mesa Amphitheater. i've only seen one show at Desert Sky/Blockbuster/whatever... that was the Ozzfest with Sabbath. i used to catch some gigs at Compton Terrace, which i miss. was a much easier drive. seen a few other gigs in PHX at the Mason Jar (Carcass/Life of Agony) and the Clubhouse or whatever.

i think i've seen Slayer 3? times in the Amphitheater, once at the Buena Vista theater in Tucson (the warm up gig for the Divine Intervention tour) and once in the basement of the TCC.

The Amphitheater is probably my favorite venue in Phoenix. at least for bigger shows.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.05.2011 - 21:33
Ghostdancer

Written by BitterCOld on 21.05.2011 at 21:05

Written by Ghostdancer on 21.05.2011 at 20:47

in phoenix, i think i've only seen them at Mesa Amphitheater. i've only seen one show at Desert Sky/Blockbuster/whatever... that was the Ozzfest with Sabbath. i used to catch some gigs at Compton Terrace, which i miss. was a much easier drive. seen a few other gigs in PHX at the Mason Jar (Carcass/Life of Agony) and the Clubhouse or whatever.

i think i've seen Slayer 3? times in the Amphitheater, once at the Buena Vista theater in Tucson (the warm up gig for the Divine Intervention tour) and once in the basement of the TCC.

The Amphitheater is probably my favorite venue in Phoenix. at least for bigger shows.

I miss Compton Terrace too. The last show I saw there was Iron Maiden and Anthrax in 1990. I haven't been to the Mason Jar in a long, long time. I don't think I've ever been to the Clubhouse.

I don't think I ever caught a show in Tucson even though I lived there for five years. Before I moved back to the Phoenix area, I still came up here to watch Slayer at Club Rio and again at Mesa Amphiteater. (Also some shows out of the genre altogether.) But I'll always regret missing the Live Intrusion show.
----
21.05.2011 - 21:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yo whats up Craig x2.. lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.05.2011 - 23:48
Ghostdancer

I thought that was kind of odd...lol. I didn't know BitterCOld lived in the same state too. Christ, we've probably even seen a couple of the same shows. Maybe Slayer at Mesa Amphitheater in '98, '01 or '06...seems like there were one or two more in there somewhere.
----
22.05.2011 - 00:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Not sure about '98 or '01, but was def there in '06 when they played with Mastodon and other bands. stayed at that nearby hotel with a friend. was funny after the show to see all the normal Marriott travelers (or whatever) there mixed in with all the Slayer fans.
----

22.05.2011 - 00:22
Ghostdancer

I was definitely at that one. I remember Mastodon and Children of Bodom...seems like Lamb of God was there too. If I remember right that was the first time I heard "Cult." I bought the second to last tour shirt with the 200666 printed on the back. I always wondered if fans stayed in the Marriott...now I guess I know. I also used to wonder if the bands kept people awake.
----
22.05.2011 - 00:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
That's why the venue has a 10pm shut down time.
----

22.05.2011 - 00:57
Ghostdancer

I kind of thought that's why the shows always ended early and why some of them started so fucking early. No band I've seen there ever pushed it much past ten. I can't remember if it was the '06 show or not, but I did see one Slayer show where they didn't play an encore because their set went all the way up to shut down time.
----
16.06.2011 - 06:55
tulkas
el parcero
Slayer came back to Colombia and performed last night. It was fuckin' great! A lot of great songs and overall it was an amazing night. There's not much to say, I mean, I could say a lot, but I guess it's better (and shorter) to post the 2 videos I took. Pretty much sums up what it was. I just loved it when Araya just left the singing to audience, amazing.

Dead Skin Mask

South of Heaven - Raining Blood - Black Magic (yep, one after the other, no pause!)

----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
07.04.2016 - 22:00
Enteroctopus

Saw them "open" for Slipknot in 2011. Anthrax and Motorhead played that show, too.

Great show, let's just say I left a bit early.
09.04.2016 - 06:09
UPDIRNS

Awesome video's!! Slayer Rules!! I saw them last year at the Palladium. Exodus and Suicidal opened for them and both were great, especially Suicidal but Slayer was on point. Torn the place apart. Awesome metal venue if anyone every gets to the Worcester, MA area.
09.04.2016 - 18:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Awesome, wish they continued further into SA. Like Asuncion...
----

10.09.2021 - 18:01
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Slayer riffs vs Metallica riffs in their prime?
Here's a cool video I found that has a nice selection of Hetfield and Hannemann riffs!
15.09.2021 - 10:55
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Here's a great performance of an underrated gem. (Those riffs are so good!) Makes me wish I could've seen them live...
09.04.2022 - 19:30
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Great raw rehearsal of the Hell Awaits album! No vocals except for some dialogue of the band members between songs

0:14 --- Kill Again
5:13 --- "Warlock Shit!"
5:22 --- Crypts of Eternity
11:46 --- "How long was that?" "About six, seven minutes"
12:09 --- At Dawn They Sleep
18:55 --- Praise of Death
24:17 --- "That song's pretty short!" "Water break!"
24:27 --- Hell Awaits
29:47 --- "Billy Idol"
29:56 --- Necrophiliac
33:40 --- Hardening of the Arteries