03. Wage Slave
04. In The End, Devastation
05. Fan Massacre
06. Agnosticism
07. Combat Mosh
08. Axe Cop
09. Agents Of Steel [Agent Steel cover]
10. Lich King IV (Born Of The Bomb)

We often encounter revivalist thrash metal bands that try to recapture the essence of the '80s and '90s thrash scene while sharpening said sound using modern production; however, these bands commonly facee flak of being unoriginal rehash machines. One of the bands that has trotted on its way carrying the torch from original flag bearers such as Slayer, Testament, Overkill, Anthrax and Nuclear Assault is a band from Massachusetts called Lich King. Emerging during the early 2000s thrash resurgence, Lich King released four full-length albums, which received lukewarm responses from fans, until they decided to release Born Of The Bomb, which might be the best album in their catalog. How does this reviewer know, and more importantly, where does this Lich King record stand amid the other illustrious thrash output of 2012?

Let's find out.

Born Of The Bomb dropped in 2012, a year graced with various other strong releases in the genre: Overkill's The Electric Age, Kreator's Phantom Antichrist, Testament's Dark Roots Of Earth, Angelus Apatrida's The Call, Suicidal Angels's Bloodbath ...phew! Competing against such quality, Born Of The Bomb exhibits a typical thrash sound, unleashing riff after riff orchestrated with thundering drums, while the vocalist resembles his idol Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth's (Overkill) vocal lines. This time around, however, the production is notably superior, compared with previous releases that suffered heavily from muddied and muffled sounds; here, the guitar sounds immaculately crisp, complemented with great drumming and strong bass like on the album's opener "All Hail". This is carried through to the midsection of the album, all the way to "Fan Massacre", forming a pattern of trailblazing riffs with memorable groove-laden chops that leave listeners exhilarated from relentless headbanging.

The highlights of the album come in the form of its two longest tracks, each around 8 minutes: "Agnosticism" and "Lich King IV (Born Of The Bomb)". The former is a slow burner with a relatively down-tempo, stomping riff, and the whole track is highlighted by an excellent, drawn-out instrumental mid-section brimming with guitar pyrotechnics, while the latter (which also serves as the album closer) is a decidedly different complex barrage of lightning-fast riffs that barely lets up, giving a shade of Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal.

Amid a true thrash resurgence, Born Of The Bomb solidified Lich King's standing, positioning them alongside contemporaries such as Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, and Suicidal Angels. This album not only demonstrates their command of the genre, but also underscores their capacity for innovation. With its exceptional production, unforgettable compositions, and unyielding intensity, Born Of The Bomb emerges as a pivotal release in modern thrash metal.

Highlights: "Agnosticism", "Lich King IV (Born Of The Bomb)", "Fan Massacre"

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 02.06.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 34 users
02.06.2024 - 20:17
Rating: 9
Guib
Thrash Talker
Very cool review for this awesome album Cynic. I agree that this is one of (if not the) best album by Lich King. Very solid work overall from a pretty consistent band.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.06.2024 - 20:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guib on 02.06.2024 at 20:17

I agree that this is one of (if not the) best album by Lich King. Very solid work overall from a pretty consistent band.

By far the best material LK ever recorded. It dropped in the very tightly contested year of thrash(all albums mentioned in my review), and to make a name in between(with typical DIY beta mode), it was fucking amazing. It is heavily rotated in my playlist so I thought why wouldn't I punch a review for this incredible album?!

Thanks for reading, Guib.
02.06.2024 - 20:56
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Great review and thanks for bringing this band to my attention, I've not heard anything by them as of yet, but you've got me intrigued so I'll be checking this one out soon, I suspect I'll like.
02.06.2024 - 21:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 02.06.2024 at 20:56

Great review and thanks for bringing this band to my attention, I've not heard anything by them as of yet, but you've got me intrigued so I'll be checking this one out soon, I suspect I'll like.

Thank you, Andy.

For me, Born of the Bomb and World Gone Dead are the best in the catalog. You may check out others after these two.

I'm sure you will like Lich King.
03.06.2024 - 00:08
A Real Mönkey
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 02.06.2024 at 20:56

Honestly you can’t go wrong with anything by them. My personal favorite is the Do-Over EP, if just for the amazing Van Halen cover.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
05.06.2024 - 23:53
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Cynic and Guib both giving a thrash album a 9? Sounds promising! I've got to give this one a listen ASAP
19.06.2024 - 20:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by F3ynman on 05.06.2024 at 23:53

I've got to give this one a listen ASAP

Did you?!

What's your take on it?!
20.06.2024 - 18:38
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.06.2024 at 20:23

Did you?!

What's your take on it?!

I finally did get around to listen to it (thanks for the reminder and the great review!). And it's awesome!

My only minor complaint is with the vocals. Sometimes they aren't really my taste, although some extended high-pitched wails are pretty impressive. Overall, the vocals do fit to the hyperactive instruments well, so I can't really complain too much.

After all, "riffs are what matter; you know it if you're true!", and the riffs of Lich King are absolutely fantastic! Excellent fun thrash throughout (with a great sound, as you say in your review) and the lyrics are also funny.

The absolute highlight for me is indeed "Agnosticism"—what a masterpiece! It's exactly my type of song with this mid-tempo, menacing energy and exquisitely performed guitar-work from the acoustic beginning to the screeching solos and the razor-sharp riffage.

Super enjoyable album! Thanks a lot for the recommendation
20.06.2024 - 19:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by F3ynman on 20.06.2024 at 18:38

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.06.2024 at 20:23

Did you?!

What's your take on it?!

The absolute highlight for me is indeed "Agnosticism"—what a masterpiece! It's exactly my type of song..

Super enjoyable album! Thanks a lot for the recommendation

Glad you enjoyed, F3ynman!

Sadly after this, LK was back with "The Omniclasm" after 5 yrs and it couldn't garner much attention. It reminds me the trajectory of Havok - one great album and then went downhill.

Hits total: 805 | This month: 805