Guest review by: Sebastian1982

01. Walk The Path Of Sorrow
02. Dark Medieval Times
03. Skyggedans
04. Min Hyllest Til Vinterland
05. Into The Mighty Forest
06. The Dark Castle In The Deep Forest
07. Taakeslottet

Dark Medieval Times: a memory that is difficult to forget in dark times...

Satyricon are a legendary band that I've never had the fortune to see live. And that bothers me. What can I say about their debut? It's an album that generates a nostalgia that transports me to medieval times, a dark and cold atmosphere starting with the iconic first piece "Walk the Path of Sorrow" that makes my skin crawl. Those voices, instrumentation, somber atmosphere, and acoustic guitars could be deemed as perfect, as it doesn't bore me at all.

Satry and Frost really released a masterpiece at a young age (at 18 and 20 years old, if I'm not mistaken). On Dark Medieval Times, they were joined by Torden and Lemarchand. In 1993, several iconic albums were released by bands such as Burzum, Dissection, Impaled Nazarene, Sigh, Darkthrone, Beherit, and Immortal. You will already know the albums I am referring to. And here comes Satyricon with Dark Medieval Times, an album which marks a big difference from all the bands already mentioned, proving its well-deserved merit to be called a black metal classic.

There are technical riffs that combine with the cold atmosphere. All the tracks are very special, and none of them are too much. Dark Medieval Times is an album that is not boring to listen to from start to finish, ending with the totally epic "Taakeslottet". Overall, it's an album that's very characteristic of the year 1993.

All this is from my personal point of view. I hope this little review is of some use, and that you give this wonderful album a listen. If you are someone who doesn't know it, although I doubt it, listen to it again!

Thank you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Sebastian1982 | 30.07.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Satyricon are one of the oldest of the Norwegian bands to form during the black metal boom of the '90s, helping to pioneer the sound alongside projects such as Burzum, Darkthrone, and Gorgoroth. Dark Medieval Times is the band's full-length debut, and it represents perfectly what black metal is all about.

Read more ››
published 14.01.2012 | Comments (12)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 14 users
26.08.2024 - 19:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good to read, I have heard all albums even enjoy few songs from each but if I go back and listen to this band, I try to do first 3 albums otherwise we'll let's say it is essential.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.08.2024 - 19:45
Rating: 9
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Very good review, and thanks for bringing this album to light once more, and providing the recognition it truly deserves! Satyricon were an essential part of the 2nd wave/Norwegian black metal scene, and could do no wrong in their early days, their first 3 albums (which includes this one) are fantastic!

Hits total: 705 | This month: 95