Metal Storm logo
Oh no, not another "suggestion" thread, but I want Prog Metal!

Original post

Posted by tea[m]ster, 31.12.2009 - 17:33
Being 37 years old and a huge fan of Prog Metal I can honestly say MetalStorm has been the best internet find I've ever made; I would have never discovered bands like Riverside, Agalloch, Disillusion, Dark Suns, Oceans of Sadness and Enochian Theory without MetalStorm's content and its members! So I ask you all, jot down some must-hear prog-metal and the like.
14.11.2010 - 22:12
Ivor
Staff
Beardfish is definitely a worthy recommendation. It has it's fun appeal, the songwriting is varied and the singer is awesome. Which kind of brings me to another point. If you happen to enjoy the vocals, try singers solo stuff under the name of Gungfly. It's far less proggy and lighter, but the enjoyable voice is what makes it worth.

I.
15.11.2010 - 07:30
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Interesting! I'll check that out. I definitely dig that voice!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.11.2010 - 07:40
Wyrd
If anyone is interested in a very unknown, space themed power/prog band, then I recommend you guys look up Keldian. Very clear and moving vocals and great lyrics centered around humanity's future and our distiny to explore the stars. Very good stuff.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
18.11.2010 - 00:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Thank you Falconer for the suggestion - I also found a couple of hidden gems:

Fools Game - Reality Divine (Sounds alot like Redemption, power and prog meshed)
Cosmic Trail - The Outer Planes (Instruments only; The production and technical prowess is so good for such an obscure band)
----
rekt
18.11.2010 - 06:19
Wyrd
Your very welcome!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
22.11.2010 - 21:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I listened to A Cosmic Trail - The Outer Planes twice but can't say much; only that it feels like a debut (which it is) and that this music written by young, inexperienced dudes (which is probably not true ). But actually I like the songs build up and how they are sort of relaxing...

I'd also like to suggest a band: Leprous and their album Tall Poppy Syndrom. Reviewers at metal archives bash it for being unnecessarily technical and forgettable (or smth like that), but that's totally not true. These dudes possess the ability to write really good, memorable songs. I am about to check their debut.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.11.2010 - 23:05
Ivor
Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 22.11.2010 at 21:33

I'd also like to suggest a band: Leprous and their album Tall Poppy Syndrom. Reviewers at metal archives bash it for being unnecessarily technical and forgettable (or smth like that), but that's totally not true. These dudes possess the ability to write really good, memorable songs. I am about to check their debut.

I kind of tend to agree with those who say it's forgettable. I was initially excited when I heard it, which was over a year ago. But with a couple of listens it wears itself out. And they reminded me too much of Opeth, not exactly a rip-off but not a far cry from that either.

I.
22.11.2010 - 23:25
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ivor on 22.11.2010 at 23:05

I kind of tend to agree with those who say it's forgettable. I was initially excited when I heard it, which was over a year ago. But with a couple of listens it wears itself out. And they reminded me too much of Opeth, not exactly a rip-off but not a far cry from that either.

I.

I could give you "forgettable": people perceive music differently, but I don't see anything over-the-top technical here and nothing that would suggest prowess show-off. The flows rather smoothly, and it is not that hard of a listen, so I have no idea what the guy who gave it 21% on MA was talking about.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

22.11.2010 - 23:31
Ivor
Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 22.11.2010 at 23:25

I could give you "forgettable": people perceive music differently, but I don't see anything over-the-top technical here and nothing that would suggest prowess show-off. The flows rather smoothly, and it is not that hard of a listen, so I have no idea what the guy who gave it 21% on MA was talking about.

I didn't say it was overly technical, or anything. I might have liked it more if it was. I'm just talking about it being forgettable for me. As I said, it kind of wore itself out in like 2 weeks or something. However, you are likely right that it probably didn't deserve the 21%, not that I know what was written there. Don't care to look it up, to be honest.

I.
25.11.2010 - 05:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

I listened to A Cosmic Trail - The Outer Planes twice but can't say much; only that it feels like a debut (which it is) and that this music written by young, inexperienced dudes (which is probably not true ). But actually I like the songs build up and how they are sort of relaxing...

I like the fact that its instrumental only - no over-the-top, neo-egoist vocalist attempting to dominate the music like 90% of the progressive music out there. Give it a few more spins K'tulu.
----
rekt
25.11.2010 - 05:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Ivor on 22.11.2010 at 23:31

Written by K✞ulu on 22.11.2010 at 23:25

I didn't say it was overly technical, or anything. I might have liked it more if it was. I'm just talking about it being forgettable for me. As I said, it kind of wore itself out in like 2 weeks or something. However, you are likely right that it probably didn't deserve the 21%, not that I know what was written there. Don't care to look it up, to be honest.

I.

I'll have to check this album out, sounds like you two need a third interested party for a majority vote
----
rekt
25.11.2010 - 10:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Well, I don't think this is the right place to do that, much less on a prog metal thread lol
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.01.2011 - 14:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Do any of you remember Sieges Even? http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=2074

A couple of ex-members started a new band a couple of years ago and released a pretty solid album:

Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous http://www.myspace.com/subsignalband & http://www.subsignalband.com/

Check it out!
----
rekt
16.01.2011 - 20:51
Ivor
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 16.01.2011 at 14:41

Do any of you remember Sieges Even? http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=2074

A couple of ex-members started a new band a couple of years ago and released a pretty solid album:

Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous http://www.myspace.com/subsignalband & http://www.subsignalband.com/

Check it out!

Judging by the MySpace this Subsignal hits the bullseye for me. Thumbs up for the suggestion. Will check it out for sure.

I.
16.01.2011 - 23:27
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Ivor on 16.01.2011 at 20:51

Written by tea[m]ster on 16.01.2011 at 14:41

Check it out!

Judging by the MySpace this Subsignal hits the bullseye for me. Thumbs up for the suggestion. Will check it out for sure.

I.

Let me know what you think of the album, give it a few listens first; start to finish. I really am enjoying it. Great mood and atmosphere...
----
rekt
19.01.2011 - 01:58
Just joined Metalstorm and starting to like it!

I, myself is a extreme prog metal fan as well. I was looking for a band that could just satisfy my ears.
It wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be but then I found this life-saving band awhile ago.

Progressive, Melodic Black Metal, really hard to catagorize them but definetely progressive.

Ne Obliviscaris.

Unfortunantly they only have one demo (3 songs all over 10 minutes I believe) out, but it's in great quality, studio album quality.
Tapestry of the Starless Abstract and As Icicles Fall BLEW MY MIND! (sorry read the rules but can't resist...)
It's the type of song which you need to listen and focus on it without skipping, then you'll find the true beauty of this band.
It's a 6 piece band, it even includes a violinist.
I personally don't enjoy listening to music featuring violin but this band... makes them sound amazing!
Tapestry has an instrumental break in the song which I really liked and As Icicles Fall is a little bit heavier.

As I'm typing this right now I'm trying to think of a way to describe them but... words can't explain so experience it with your own ears.

Again Ne Obliviscaris.
Everybody has different tastes in music but there seems to be barely anybody who show negative response to their music.
I'm just depressed they only have 2 songs out
I hope you really give it a try.

Ne Obliviscaris.
19.01.2011 - 09:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Oh my gosh, their demo The Aurora Veil has 14! reviews on Metal Archives... holy crap. Gotta check this out. Thanks!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.01.2011 - 02:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 19.01.2011 at 09:34

Oh my gosh, their demo The Aurora Veil has 14! reviews on Metal Archives... holy crap. Gotta check this out. Thanks!

I'm on board....stay tuned!
----
rekt
20.01.2011 - 03:34
Tormentor666
Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I recently discovered a Canadian heavy metal band with a strong progressive taste called Zion's Abyss. Not a new band at all, their only album was recorded in 1991 and then they disbanded, but it's high quality metal!
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20.01.2011 - 12:36
Metallicazoom
There's a lots of posts here, I don't know if anybody has mentioned anything about "Evergray" It really amazing band

Best regards,

Dio
----
There's no greater sorrow, than recall happiness in times of misery ......
21.01.2011 - 13:04
Black_Sheep
Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, Pagan's Mind. Check those out, they're all awesome. I expect that you are already familiar with the "big 3" Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
21.01.2011 - 16:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Black_Sheep on 21.01.2011 at 13:04

Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, Pagan's Mind. Check those out, they're all awesome. I expect that you are already familiar with the "big 3" Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X.

Wow, didn't know Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X were the big three? It must be your own notion.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.01.2011 - 18:17
Black_Sheep
Written by K✞ulu on 21.01.2011 at 16:12

Wow, didn't know Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X were the big three? It must be your own notion.

They are the best known and most popular prog metal bands by far.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
22.01.2011 - 14:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Black_Sheep on 21.01.2011 at 18:17

Written by K✞ulu on 21.01.2011 at 16:12

They are the best known and most popular prog metal bands by far.

ok, I see your criteria. I just perceive the big
  • in the thrash sense, like the Big Four of Thrash. With that approach, I'd define the Big Four of Progressive Metal as Dream Theater, Fate's Warning, Shadow Gallery and Psychotic Waltz. The history of Prog (Rock) starts much sooner of course.
  • ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

23.01.2011 - 01:38
    Didn't expect such a bad response well that's my bad

anyone heard of Unexpect? Can't be more progressive
    23.01.2011 - 09:39
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Written by UndergroundMusic on 23.01.2011 at 01:38

Didn't expect such a bad response well that's my bad

anyone heard of Unexpect? Can't be more progressive

what do you mean by bad response? About Ne Obliviscaris? Wait, teamster and I will post something. I haven't had much time recently to give them a proper listen due to studies.

As for Unexpect... yeah, a pretty crazy band. But I have never given them enough attention.
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

19.03.2011 - 03:44
    Pantommind - a rather long-standing Bulgarian band. Think some Fates Warning and Black Sabbath, but that's about all the influences I can pick out here. Vote for their addition to the Archives!

YouTube track link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdm55-eGRw
    20.03.2011 - 21:24
    Luneth
    Account deleted
    So as not to make ANOTHER recommendation thread: I'm looking to build up a prog collection and have been listening to a few bands here and there, but nothing has really 'clicked', therefore prompting me to seek out bands of a similar sound. Prog bands that I already like a lot are Vintersorg, Symphony X and Pagan's Mind and bands that I kinda enjoy are Opeth and Evergrey. But what I really want to hear is some kinda of fantasy/mythology/science fictional prog metal...so like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind basically
    20.03.2011 - 22:53
    Introspekrieg
    Totemic Lust
    Elite
    Written by [user id=107773] on 20.03.2011 at 21:24

So as not to make ANOTHER recommendation thread: I'm looking to build up a prog collection and have been listening to a few bands here and there, but nothing has really 'clicked', therefore prompting me to seek out bands of a similar sound. Prog bands that I already like a lot are Vintersorg, Symphony X and Pagan's Mind and bands that I kinda enjoy are Opeth and Evergrey. But what I really want to hear is some kinda of fantasy/mythology/science fictional prog metal...so like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind basically

Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained

Shadow Gallery - Room V

Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars

Shaman - Ritual

Abydos - The Little Boy's Heavy Mental Shadow Opera About The Inhabitants Of His Diary

Ark - Burn The Sun

Threshold - Critical Mass

Beyond Twilight - Section X

Shaolin Death Squad - Five Deadly Venoms

Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast
    20.03.2011 - 23:07
    Aeonian_Lich
    Dunno if mentioned but Magic Pie's last album "The Suffering Joy" is quite splendid. If you liked Haken - "Aquarius", you may like this one too. It is mainly prog rock, but it seems to be influenced by SFAM era Dream Theater also. It is really really epic. Illusion Suite - "Final Hour" is also quite awesome traditional prog metal album.