05. Astera Ton Proinon
06. Panem Et Circenses
07. And He Shall Walk In Empty Places
08. Will You Love Me Now?
09. The Pain Is Still Mine

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
This is not the worst album I've heard this year but it's pretty far from being the best either. Ihsahn, for all that the black metal genre owes him, is still very much guilty of one of the most common sins in metal music - utter pretentiousness.

There is a clear sense of lack of direction on Adversary. Musically, this album is quite similar to Emperor's swan song Prometheus and includes the same mix of black metal and heavy metal with progressive leanings. There are actually heaps of ideas floating around on this album. The problem is that they seem to be there just for the sake of being there, as if Ihsahn simply wanted to use every melody and arrangement that popped into his mind without paying any attention as to how their juxtaposition affects the flow of the songs and the whole album in general. There are some particularly good parts here, most notably the progressive sections of "Homecoming" or the vicious black metal attack in the beginning of "Citizen"; however, we can't really appreciate them since we are constantly being distracted. The fairly amateurish production of this album doesn't help matters either. Adversary is more like a thrill ride with cheap gimmicks than a journey that actually takes us anywhere.

Read more ››
published 27.04.2006 | Comments (25)

Found in 11 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 599 users
15.08.2010 - 07:17
Rating: 5
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Swear I tried. This album is not for me... =/

When some songs shows a slight of promising moments (like ''Citizen'' and ''Homecoming'') it simply does not get anywhere.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.01.2011 - 10:33
BloodFireDeath

Good tunes....
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
24.08.2011 - 15:48
Rating: 8
musicalkaratekid

Ihsahn's solo debut effort is probably the hardest to get into out of all six of his releases. I say that not necessarily because it was his first venture into solo musicianship, but more to do with the fact that it sticks out because of its obvious classical mannerisms and really intricate progressive song structures. There's not a song here which doesn't render itself sophisticated. Even the forthcoming previews (Called By the Fire", "And he Shall Walk...") are unique, complicated (too much for some listeners) compositions but at the same time it's really nice to hear Ihsahn share a new direction. I'll always look back on this record as a real bold, daring musical move for his musical career, but in the end he made it work.
29.12.2013 - 19:22
Rating: 6
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Hard to believe such great albums followed this one. Maybe Ihsahn wasn't experienced enough at the time to release a quality product or he should have called Jens Bogren to handle the mixing earlier. And that is regarding the production only, most songs lack a bit of direction as well.
16.05.2016 - 19:23
Rating: 8
Sang Dalang Abu

This album for fans of Emperor, King Diamond, and Rush.

Very good album indeed.

Hits total: 11175 | This month: 21