06. Vítat
07. Marš Pucfleku!
08. Lizzie
09. Konec Kontinentálního Kontejneru [re-recorded version]
10. Z Terária Do Kolumbária [re-recorded version]
11. Aura & Ziata [re-recorded version]
12. Pošťák [re-recorded version]
13. Instrumental

My first impression of Democratic Solution was that it reminded me of the music I would hear while playing "Sonic the Hedgehog" games years ago. It has that bright, cheesy, synthesized feeling that would not be out of place behind many beloved video games of the early '90s. This is not exactly beneficial, however; it has more in common with the soundtrack of a Ukrainian carousel than with a genuine !T.O.O.H.! album.

The guitars - if they are indeed guitars - are so thoroughly distorted that they are rendered nearly indistinguishable from a keyboard stuck on the "1980s pop ballad" setting with the "brassy & sassy" dial turned up to 11. Whatever that lead instrument is, it is so drenched in distortion that individual notes are often lost in a sea of white noise and bright fuzz. Often there are actual keyboards in the background mirroring the guitar parts, which only serve to heighten the impression that this should be coming from a Nintendo 64 rather than a stereo. Meanwhile, the bass is present only as an indistinct rumbling underneath the wall of cheese. It is a constant buzzing, devoid of pitch or melody.

Such instrumentation, while unconventional to say the least, definitely gives Democratic Solution a very unique sound. While the occasional stabs at technical writing often get drowned out by the distortion, the sheer avant-gardism makes for an intriguing listening experience. Though much of the album is unfocused and confused, there are a few decent compositions here; "Kokarda Pýchy" and "Mar? Pucfleku!" are cohesive enough to be enjoyable, and the instrumental "Lizzie" takes a break from the unorthodoxy to embrace a more familiar sound. It would be far easier to overlook the unusual approach of the album were it not for the vocals. Aside from a handful of brief growls that sound more like snorting gorillas than anything else, the vocals are entirely clean. More than clean, they are flat, nasally, often off-key and amateurish to the point of discomfort. I have to wonder why they elected to go this route instead of sticking to the style of their previous albums.

Somewhat unfortunately, !T.O.O.H.! offers you the opportunity for direct comparison by re-recording some older tracks in the style of Democratic Solution. Needless to say, the songs are not enhanced by this new sound.

Democratic Solution warranted multiple listens, only out of befuddlement and bemusement. It is a shame that !T.O.O.H.! must offer this as its swansong, but given Humanoid's unfortunate diagnosis as schizophrenic, it seems unlikely that they have any other option. Democratic Solution does not reflect the rest of !T.O.O.H.!'s work very well, nor does it have many merits of its own; it is probably best to leave it well enough alone.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 9
Production: 4

Written on 20.09.2013 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 239 users
20.09.2013 - 00:30
BreadGod
Account deleted
I agree. This album was a HUGE disappointment.
20.09.2013 - 04:29
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Well, I think "Konec kontinentálního kontejneru"'s (thank God I'll probably never have to pronounce that) re-recording is pretty awesome. Also:
Quote:
the bass is present only as an indistinct rumbling underneath the wall of cheese. It is a constant buzzing, devoid of pitch or melody.

Really? You are either exaggerating or mistaking the bass for something else.
20.09.2013 - 05:05
Rating: 4
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
Written by Unhealer on 20.09.2013 at 04:29

Quote:
the bass is present only as an indistinct rumbling underneath the wall of cheese. It is a constant buzzing, devoid of pitch or melody.

Really? You are either exaggerating or mistaking the bass for something else.

Somewhat exaggerating. There are recognizable parts sometimes, but it basically sounds like somebody's stomach growling into the mic.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.09.2013 - 14:43
Rating: 5
Rulatore
Originally bad hahaha
20.09.2013 - 21:38
Rupert
This would be pretty good video game music if the vocals weren't around.
20.09.2013 - 21:45
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm expecting an average score of maybe 7.5 or 8, regardless.
Cause, you know, !T.O.O.H.! is br00tal.
Or, at least, they were.
20.09.2013 - 23:54
seafood
I for one like the approach taken as far as production goes, and the overall idea of sound they were going for. But apart from first two songs and "Kokarda Pychy" (though I didn't really gave the rerecordings chance) it's just too slow and tame to be interesting in this format. The album would definitely benefit from harsher vocal style, but I guess Humanoids performance was halted by his diagnosis.

Everything about this album just feels sad and unfortunate to me.
24.09.2013 - 05:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I would have thought schizophrenia would have improved the music.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.09.2013 - 07:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.09.2013 at 05:32
I would have thought schizophrenia would have improved the music.

It probably did throughout the previous albums, this time he got the diagnosis which means: Medications!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.09.2013 - 12:08
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
This is so disappointing.
29.09.2013 - 07:26
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Just like Joe said, listen to the Duobetic Homunkulus EP. It's what this shoulda sounded like.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
31.05.2020 - 22:24
Rating: 3
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I really appreciate that 9 for originality. Personally I would have granted them the full 10, which I don't think I've ever done before (and if I have it's likely a mistake in hindsight) but this is truly one of the most unique messes I've ever listened to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 4792 | This month: 6