05. Genetic Process
06. Fearless
07. Perfectly Imperfect
08. Unveil
09. Hope Springs Eternal
10. Exposure
11. When Black Turns To White
12. Photograph

Many of you are already familiar with the awesome progressive power metal of Danish Pyramaze. Yet, others among you may only know them as the band that Matt Barlow joined after his post- Iced Earth absence from metal, only to leave after recording one album, re-join Iced Earth, then quit again. Nonetheless, Pyramaze was great before and they're still pretty damn great. This Disciples Of The Sun, seven years since their last record, is easily their best yet.

The current line-up now features the legendary Jacob Hansen in the songwriting department as well as on bass and guitar (ex- Anubis Gate, ex- Beyond Twilight, and about 1000 others), and the Norwegian Terje Harøy on vocals ( Teodor Tuff, ex- Memorized Dreams). Although Harøy sounds nothing like Barlow or previous vocalist Lance King, which is very refreshing, his voice does meets the same qualifications on paper: great lows and highs with an inherent grit and harshness to it, and a huge emotional range. This dude is just amazing, both unleashing raw power and showing a full command of his voice. Where has he been hiding all this time? So happy to hear such a voice as this united with a top-notch band such as Pyramaze. Above all, it's really nice when new vocalists don't try to emulate the previous ones, which really lets this album soar on its own.

Speaking of soar, the symphonic elements of Jonah Weingarten's keyboard and the guitar solos of Toke Skjønnemand and Jacob Hansen soar indeed. All these epic melodic elements work together, none overpowering the others, to let loose a wonderfully dark atmosphere of guitar-driven progressive power metal. Not to leave out the drums of equally legendary Morten Gade Sørensen, who vigorously leads the rhythm section, always marching onward, and providing the catalyst for these high-energy performances. Thanks to him, one thing is true: this record never drags. It flies on the wings of solid tunes, robust performances, and ornate mood.

Amidst fellow power metal greats laying out their 2015 releases, Pyramaze confidently delivers one excellent and exciting record that will stand up to any of these come year-end.

Disciples Of The Sun releases May 22nd. Hear the album teaser here, then pre-order from Inner Wound Records.

Written on 31.03.2015 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 316 users
31.03.2015 - 12:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Pretty curious about this one. Judging by your review, I'm thinking I'll like it

I always seem to find good prog/power releases every year somehow and this year seems no exception.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.03.2015 - 15:48
Rating: 8
fandango68

Likewise, I'm rather intrigued by this one, and even more so after your review; it'll go onto the Amazon wish list as soon as it becomes available...
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
31.03.2015 - 20:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Wow, Susan, you got me pysched haha
----
loves 小巫
01.04.2015 - 00:38
FelixtheMetalcat

Great review ! I've heard a few cuts & they have been quite impressive & yes, their new singer is a great match for the band. He has great range & never overdoes it. Terje Harøy has been singing in Teodor Tuff all this time & their album Soliloquy (2012) is a fantastic melding of power, pop, & progressive metal. I highly recommend it. ( so that is where he was hiding.....)
As for this one, I can't wait for it to be released as 7 years has been much too long for a Pyramaze album to drop.
02.04.2015 - 10:42
Stunning Cactus

I gotta have it :'( Any idea when a single will be released?
08.04.2015 - 15:43
GT
Coffee!!
I'll have to get this :-)
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
16.04.2015 - 19:01
EmeraldSword

Sounds promising indeed and a nice review I might add. I'm glad Jacob Hansen motivated these guys to regroup, refocus and put together an improved sound to warrant a new fresh studio recorded album. I'm sure his veteran experience in writing, recording and producing helped Pyramaze's recent reformation. Kudos to the band! I'm stoked for Disciples of the Sun.
01.06.2015 - 19:35
ricardoSPBR

Great voice, great band, great songs! Big surprise in a year of major releases till now! A must listen!
10.06.2015 - 16:01
Therapy?

Written by ricardoSPBR on 01.06.2015 at 19:35

Great voice, great band, great songs! Big surprise in a year of major releases till now! A must listen!

Do you happen to know Mercenary? Because of you dig this, you will like them as well. This album sounds kind of similar to much of their work.
20.06.2015 - 05:11
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Sounds very interesting. Great review Susan. I heard a couple of tracks and I have to say, Terje Harøy sounds pretty much like Jacob Hansen!
21.09.2015 - 22:35
mariano

A nice album and particularly amazing vocals. I couldn't stop listening the song Back For More for days.

Hits total: 9736 | This month: 12