Metal Storm logo
Favorite folk metal regional context

Poll

Whats your favorite regional sound for folk metal?

Viking/Scandinavian
Celtic
Mesopotamic/Arabic
English/German/French Medieval
Other
North American
South American
Chinese/Korean/Japanese

Total votes: 67
15.11.2007 - 01:13
selken
Irreligious
Although every band fits properly in their countries, maybe you prefer an specific folk melody from a region of the world, for example, I prefer the Scandinavian sound of Ensiferum and Moonsorrow, despite of being from the Americas. At the same way, maybe some finnish prefer In Extremo rather than finntroll or an israeli prefers turisas rather than melechesh, and so...
what's your favorite??

Also, you can make recommendations, for example, I recommend Nagtegaal a peruvian band with some inca elements.
----
15.11.2007 - 03:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The Middle Earth
15.11.2007 - 04:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Ill go with the cliche' viking themed, I love all sorts of folk metal, but the majority of it is viking. though it would be cool to see more Pirate folk metal, if there was more of that I know what Id choose.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.11.2007 - 07:48
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
viking scandanavian - definately my favourite , AmoN Amarth =
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
15.11.2007 - 09:06
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I went for other as my preferred style is the one sported by bands like Arkona, Odroerir, XIV Dark Centuries, Skyforger, Wolfchant and Nevid', that is pre-Christian influenced folk metal from Central and Eastern Europe. Directly behind are Viking metal (Turisas, Ensiferum) and Celtic folk (Eluveitie, Tuatha de Danann).

@selken: What would be North American folk metal anyway? I can come up with at least one band per mentioned option, but I fail to come up with something in a North American context.

@Dr.Rock: I reckon you know Alestorm already?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.11.2007 - 12:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i´d say celtic is my most favourite...or this what sounds simmilar (like NW´s Islander and Last of the Wilds which are more likely finnish music than irish, but it sounds almost the same...)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.11.2007 - 12:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I went for Celtic...eventhough I like Viking/Scandinavian just as much
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.11.2007 - 12:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
The scandinavian sound of course, makes me so damn nostalgic and think about our beautiful countries.
----
15.11.2007 - 13:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Firts there are no such sound like North American and Sout American

Chinese/Korean/Japanese - Its werry rear and japs totaly copy Europe so ...

Viking/Scandinavian then English/German/Medieval
Isnt viking age was not in medieval days, ok no it was in Napalion wars , a Egil killed Napalion by axe
in Waterloo

Where are slavic?

I like lil arabic elements into music too, also Im open mindet but

Moutly I prefere viking themes,, also celtic and whole europian history, I dont choose so no voting this time, but no metter if its celtic stories, german medieval bards or viking variors, I love Europe
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2007 - 16:37
selken
Irreligious
Written by Bad English on 15.11.2007 at 13:37

Firts there are no such sound like North American and Sout American

Chinese/Korean/Japanese - Its werry rear and japs totaly copy Europe so ...

Viking/Scandinavian then English/German/Medieval
Isnt viking age was not in medieval days, ok no it was in Napalion wars , a Egil killed Napalion by axe
in Waterloo

Where are slavic?

I like lil arabic elements into music too, also Im open mindet but

Moutly I prefere viking themes,, also celtic and whole europian history, I dont choose so no voting this time, but no metter if its celtic stories, german medieval bards or viking variors, I love Europe

Oh yes there is american folk, but these bands are way too underground that even local metalheads don't know them.
About medieval and viking:
Viking is scandinavian, from finland, sweden, norway, island and denmark this music has their regional influences and viking mithology.
Medieval as I tried to refer is about the west europe, like a folk orientation of the Rhapsody of Fire music. those songs about crussades, battles, and so...
Sorry about slavic I didn't know of it.
----
15.11.2007 - 16:37
VPeter
I voted for celtic, because celtic it self is also awesome music.

"Chinese/Korean/Japanese"

unfortunally there is no such thing as that belief me I searched since japanese and chinese folk music is really good, but all I could find was a folk metal band from china who copied the westeren folk metal theme and not the chinese one.
15.11.2007 - 19:11
Baz Anderson
Staff
- moved to the metal arena forum
15.11.2007 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nop Finland has nothing to do whit vikings and american roots are in Europe, so if thay arnt apachy, navaho or other native mericans it dont counts
But Rhapsody are fantasy , its fantasy and viking are conected whit Europe 100% and slavonims are strong in slavic countries
----

15.11.2007 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 15.11.2007 at 16:37

I voted for celtic, because celtic it self is also awesome music.

"Chinese/Korean/Japanese"

unfortunally there is no such thing as that belief me I searched since japanese and chinese folk music is really good, but all I could find was a folk metal band from china who copied the westeren folk metal theme and not the chinese one.

i agree 100%
----

15.11.2007 - 21:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Bad English on 15.11.2007 at 19:34

Nop Finland has nothing to do whit vikings and american roots are in Europe, so if thay arnt apachy, navaho or other native mericans it dont counts
But Rhapsody are fantasy , its fantasy and viking are conected whit Europe 100% and slavonims are strong in slavic countries

No they didn't/don't but as they are part of Scandinavia they belong to the category "Viking/Scandinavian." Maybe it's just me but I would say that country is somehow American folk music so if you combine that with metal you'll have "American Folk Metal" but yes metal combined with the music of the native Americans would be more "true"
Quote:
then English/German/Medieval

That could be bands like In Extremo and Saltatio Mortis
----

15.11.2007 - 21:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 15.11.2007 at 21:12

Written by Bad English on 15.11.2007 at 19:34

No they didn't/don't but as they are part of Scandinavia they belong to the category "Viking/Scandinavian." Maybe it's just me but I would say that country is somehow American folk music so if you combine that with metal you'll have "American Folk Metal" but yes metal combined with the music of the native Americans would be more "true"

Yes but Finland even dont belongs to Scandinavia and lyrics isnt about vikings, ist about finish history andfolklore
----

15.11.2007 - 21:15
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@K7: yes they do...and so does Iceland
----

15.11.2007 - 21:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 15.11.2007 at 21:15

@K7: yes they do...and so does Iceland

But Iceland are more viking land, ppl from Norway goes there i 12 century, thay 'ocupy' land and start live like Vikings also thay try keep viking live longe rafter in NOrway it ends, and keep ancient language alive , but in Iceland you know some well know band? Me whit out MA nop
----

15.11.2007 - 22:41
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Geographically Finland isn't part of Scandinavia, the term comes from Scandinavia penisula so only Sweden, Norway and Denmark are Scandinavia. If we talk about Scandinavian region, also known as Nordic countries then also Finland, Iceland and Faroe Islands are count as Scandinavia. All the cultures are pretty close to each others because the location, people have been able to travel all around the Nordic countries through the centuries, only the finnish language differs from other Nordic languages. Anyways, enough of off-topic, just wanted to set straight these things here.. Vikings weren't from Finland but it would be totally wrong to say that Finland has nothing to do with Vikings.. Vikings traveled around coast of Finland frequently and had some serious business here, some of them even lived in Finland in small communities.
After all this I guess it's pretty obvious, my favourite folk metal is Viking/Scandinavia/Nordic, that's were my roots are and that's the most emotional metal music for me. Not very far away is celtic folk, a lot similarities to Viking stuff but it's very own flavor.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
15.11.2007 - 23:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Angelique - I know it but Finland still are closet country to Scandinavia, going true all Finland ( didnt saw Oulu) there are no diference how in Sweden but such landscapess, wiews are perfect for play such viking, black , dark metal , ... all around inspirate bands and thats why viking metal shood be from Nordic countries , because such music from Bolivia wont be such like from Scandiavia and north

If you listen Windir for Norway and Darkwood My Bethroned from Finland, thay are simmilar but its posible feal some diferent thinks into muisc

Finntroll thay sing in swedish, and how historical can explain that there live some swedish talking comunity ?
----

15.11.2007 - 23:15
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Once again I don't understand a thing, from your recent post i thought you opposed the idea that Finnish folk metal would be classified under Viking/Scandinavian And now it seems you're trying to convince me with something I already approved in my earlier post. Anyways, Finland was part of Sweden for such a long time which explains the double language here (Swedish and Finnish languages both are official languages of Finland).
Also the location.. for example I personally live closer to Stockholm than to Oulu so yes, east coast of Finland is 20/80 swedish speaking people, I'm finnish speaking but my accent includes tons of straight swedish or swedish based words that they don't use in other part of the country. Historically you can explain it with a fact that trough the centuries all Nordic nations traveled up and down the north so the cultures and also languages has been mixed and blend together pretty good.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
15.11.2007 - 23:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nop I dont wanna say it - folk metal has no classifications IMO because folk music are folk music , and its finsish folk, swedish folk, greek folk, celtic folk whatewer folk, and folk music use native languages, thats why i dont accept bands from South Africa who play viking metal(Tunisiam dude ope tread about it)

About langauges I saw it in Helsinki all signs in bouth langauges

@GT - I dont like Satio Mortis and IE but if you wanna try some good band from Lithaunai try Agnis and Antigone, there are early Lithaunian spirit into music realy great atmosfere for dark autumn
----

15.11.2007 - 23:44
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
About the Native American subject: there are more native peoples than just the Northern American Indians. For example Tenochtitlan is heavily inspired by the Aztec culture, Betray My Secrets draws influences from Mesoamerican culture as well and SpiRitual even has a Colombian shaman as guest musician. And more prominently there's still Sepultura incorporating some tribal influences in their music, too.

I don't really know that many bands from the Far East, but Rudra is definitely one of those bands that flies the flag for its heritage and showcases this heritage also in the music. Senmuth is another project that might be classified as drawing influence from the Far Eastern cultures; I'm not familiar enough with this project though, so don't take my word for granted. It all might not be Japanese, Chinese (yes, I do know about Empylver) or Korean, but that would be the kind of music I'd associate with Eastern Asia.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
16.11.2007 - 00:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Promonex on 15.11.2007 at 23:44

About the Native American subject: there are more native peoples than just the Northern American Indians. For example Tenochtitlan is heavily inspired by the Aztec culture, Betray My Secrets draws influences from Mesoamerican culture as well and SpiRitual even has a Colombian shaman as guest musician. And more prominently there's still Sepultura incorporating some tribal influences in their music, too.

I don't really know that many bands from the Far East, but Rudra is definitely one of those bands that flies the flag for its heritage and showcases this heritage also in the music. Senmuth is another project that might be classified as drawing influence from the Far Eastern cultures; I'm not familiar enough with this project though, so don't take my word for granted. It all might not be Japanese, Chinese (yes, I do know about Empylver) or Korean, but that would be the kind of music I'd associate with Eastern Asia.

Yes but we talk about NA north merica and even all Indians are basicly same just like we white ppl, but north American indians live till north Mexico, Aztecs, Maiis, Inkas, etch are lil diferent but also in Brazilain metal has used indian thinks into music, and some Chilian doom bands too,
----

17.11.2007 - 00:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Promonex on 15.11.2007 at 09:06

Cant say I do....please go on....
----
- George Carlin
17.11.2007 - 03:27
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 17.11.2007 at 00:30

Well, you were mentioning pirate metal and the only pirate metal band (not counting Running Wild) that would come to my mind is Alestorm. Just in case you were thinking about Battleheart when mentioning pirate metal, rejoice as they have signed a contract with Napalm Records and have changed their name to... Alestorm!
----
17.11.2007 - 06:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Promonex on 17.11.2007 at 03:27

Well, you were mentioning pirate metal and the only pirate metal band (not counting Running Wild) that would come to my mind is Alestorm. Just in case you were thinking about Battleheart when mentioning pirate metal, rejoice as they have signed a contract with Napalm Records and have changed their name to... Alestorm!

I was thinking of Verbal Deception, thogh there not all they could be, they still have great setbacks in there music, but holy crap Alestorm kicks ass! I owe you one! Im looking for a place to pre-order Captain Morgans Revenge as we speak.
----
- George Carlin
17.11.2007 - 11:32
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Promonex on 17.11.2007 at 03:27

Thank you for that info...have heard a little by Battleheart and liked it, so nice to know that they changed name
----

17.11.2007 - 15:13
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Viking/Scandinavian: I do not consider Amon Amarth a Viking Folk Metal band; their sound is way too close to standard Death Metal to be described as a Folk Metal band in my opinion. Nevertheless, selken referred to Moonsorrow and Ensiferum, which do indeed mix Folk Metal and Black Metal. I am not a Black Metal fan, so I'll drop this one. Anyway, Finntroll (which has, by the way, absolutely NO elements from Black Metal in spite of what many people say about them) is one of the best Scandinavian (?) Folk Metal bands ever. I put the (?) because they come from a non-Scandinavian country, Finland, yet sing in Swedish. (*Note to self: Listen to more Týr*)

Celtic has to be my choice. Most of my favourite Folk Metal bands fit into this genre. Mägo De Oz's great albums Finisterra and Gaia II: La Voz Dormida, Dalriada's Jégbontó, most of Skyclad's works and Cyhiriaeth, one of the few Folk/Black Metal bands that I enjoy and that I hereby recommend to all Metalstormers who are interested in their "Iberian Folk Metal" invention, are good examples of the power and quality of Celtic Folk Metal.

Mesopotamic/Arabic: Unfortunately I only know Litham and Orphaned Land by hand, and I don't listen to them that much. I suppose that this is what you consider Mesopotamic/Arabic/Jewish Folk Metal or, if you wish, Semitic Folk Metal, an interesting mixture of Progressive and Melodic Death Metal with Semitic instruments and harmony.

English/German/French Medieval: Hmmm... do you only refer to In Extremo (one of my favourite bands by the way) and Subway To Sally or would you say Skyclad fits into this category as well, instead of Celtic Folk Metal... or do you rather mean Medieval Folk Metal in general? Because I adore that style, it would have been my pick if there were no Celtic Folk Metal, and I feel that bands like Midnattsol (and even Octavia Sperati, at some points), play Medieval Folk Metal while hailing from other countries outside Germany, Britain and France. Again, all glory to Medieval Folk Metal.

North American, Chinese/Korean/Japanese: Too obscure for me, sorry. I have never heard of such genres.

South American: I have to check that Quechua Folk Metal band, selken. Do you know any band from your country that involves Mayan elements? I have always fancied the Mayas. About Sepultura... well, I enjoyed their live show last year, but I would never say Tribal Thrash Metal is a thrashified form of Folk Metal...

I agree with K7 and Promonex that Slavic Folk Metal should be a separate option as well. Bands like Arkona, Troll Gnyot El, etc. have dozens of fans among metalheads.

Nice thread by the way.
17.11.2007 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Taktsekte - I dont see Epoch of Dalriada celtic its Hungarian ban so it belongs to same category where Finish and Estonian bands
About US and Asianstuff I agree whit you it dont exist but SA in Brazil has soem good bands but a lot of them coppy Viking metal
----