01. The Visions Of Trismegistos
02. Seven Rules Of Fate
03. Faustian Rites
04. Neptune Descent
05. Scorched Death
06. Dead Temples
07. Thanatos
08. Zealot Reign

If the first couple of albums were the jab and the cross respectively, this is the uppercut that will knock you out.

Nekromantheon is by far my favourite Norwegian thrash band of this millennium. If that doesn't tell you much, let me remind you that this scene features names such as Blood Tsunami, Inculter, and Deathhammer. Their Greek mythology themes naturally resonate with me; 'Trismegistos' (meaning 'thrice great') most likely refers to 'Hermes Trismegistus', a Hellenistic figure associated with the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth, and is the alleged author of various mystical and philosophical texts. But this is thrash we are talking about so the main reason for my endorsement of Nekromantheon is their neckbreaking pace and their brutal songwriting style. We had to wait nine years for the band's third album, but who are we to say how frequently the Oracle of the Dead should open its gates?

Nekromantheon pay homage to the early sounds of Sepultura, Slayer, Kreator, Dark Angel, and the like without emulating and they bring a fresh hunger into thrash that is often sorely missing. It is missing from many big names still releasing albums today, and it is also missing from the majority of the so-called 'revivalist' bands. The Norwegians not only eat the latter for breakfast but they also make the former seriously consider retirement. Visions Of Trismegistos is a caffeine/cocaine/adrenaline boost to the sickly and ageing body of thrash.

Instead of yawn-inducing, rehashed riffs, Nekromantheon produce mosh-pit bangers, covered in sweat and blood. Their music is a crazy thrash train speeding on rails of proto-black metal and punk. They don't undermine the melodic element - there are leads and solos appearing in the most unexpected places - but they completely throw the garnish and the extra out of the window in order to focus on purely savage and ballistic thrash. The riffs are rabid dogs with foamed mouths, they are fast and hostile and they take no prisoners. The drums really pound and the vocals are menacing with a touch of that sweet reverb.

It's a blessing that the album clocks in at under 33 minutes because no human would be able to bear this kind of bludgeoning for much longer. There is only one gear here and the parts where things temporarily slow down are very few and very far between; "Scorched Death" has an atmospheric intro and that's that. The songs are ravaging through ripping riffs and scorching leads, and they just push and push forward, not letting up for one second.

Nekromantheon recreate the sound of a previous generation, when thrash was raw, unhinged, and unpolished, wearing balls-squeezing tight jeans, muddy sneakers, and Possessed t-shirts. And they crank this sound up to 11. Visions Of Trismegistos is made from the pit, for the pit, and is addressed to those that love the pit.

"Into the fire I follow thee
Spawn of the night
Let me take part in your glorious feast
Indulge in earthly delight"

Written on 05.06.2021 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 84 users
05.06.2021 - 10:04
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Quote:

'Hermes Trismegistus', a Hellenistic figure associated with the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth, and is the alleged author of various mystical and philosophical texts

I knew this video would come to use eventually when it showed up in my recommended.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
29.05.2023 - 18:45
Rating: 7
tintinb

Other than the album I also love the album cover. If you are going for a gory album cover, this is the way to go. So many details in that cover.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 1776 | This month: 6