06. A Thousand Shades [feat. Jeff Beck]
07. Mr. Darkness [feat. Zakk Wylde]
08. Nothing Feels Right [feat. Zakk Wylde]
09. Evil Shuffle [feat. Zakk Wylde]
10. Degradation Rules [feat. Tony Iommi]
11. Dead And Gone
12. God Only Knows
13. Darkside Blues

Well, it's better than Ordinary Man at least.

When reviewing an album from a respectable artist at this age, you always get the lingering feeling that you might be reviewing their final album. It's easy to have rose tinted glasses after an artist's death when looking back at their final record, but it's weird to do it before. When I reviewed Ozzy's previous album, Ordinary Man, it felt more like a celebration of the man's entire career and place in the world rather than talking about the actual album, because nobody wants to be the one who thrashes the final album. Especially with how many health scares related to Ozzy were made public around the time. Well, Ordinary Man was not Ozzy's final album. And there's a part of me who feels compelled to review Patient Number 9 simply because now this is the one that could be the final one. But then maybe he'll come out with another one in two years, and I'll look like an absolute fool. I don't want Ozzy's perseverance in his age to feel like it's going contrary to my reviewing plans.

That said, I'm glad Ordinary Man isn't Ozzy's final album. Ordinary Man and Patient Number 9 have quite a lot in common, for better or worse, and it's not like there were not any good songs on Ordinary Man, but I really didn't feel compelled to revisit it past the title track. As a whole, Patient Number 9, despite being ten minutes longer, feels like the more whole product. Filler is still abound, as I can only assume the health scares got Ozzy to wanna make as much music while he still can, but that has always been the case with Ozzy's albums. I'll be frank and say that retroactively I don't really love any Ozzy album, as much as I do love some songs on Blizzard Of Ozz or No More Tears, but none of his solo albums I'd call masterpieces. I'm not saying that to say that Ordinary Man or Patient Number 9 are closer relatively to those albums than initially assumed, but inconsistency is pretty much just modus operandi. If I were to claim that this is the best Ozzy album of the 2000s, that could be true, but also not that big of an achievement.

As far as similarities with Ordinary Man go, the production is sterile, the autotune is awful, Andrew Watt is definitely the least interesting guitarist on this record, even if he's probably more responsible for this record's existence than people may give him credit for. Despite those flaws, the one thing that does feel interesting about both records is the guest list. While Ordinary Man was pretty hilarious in the artists that it got added to metal sites, like Charlie Puth, Post Malone, and Travis Scott; Patient Number 9 also adds some interesting artists to metal sites, but they're ones adjacent enough that it makes more sense, from blues rock guitarists like Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck to the late Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins. Not only that, but some characters from Ozzy's journey make their return: Zakk Wylde, Robert Trujillo, and most importantly Tony Iommi. There's even more interesting characters in the credits, but read those in your own time, I don't want this to be a Wikipedia article.

And I think this is the reason why Patient Number 9 works better than Ordinary Man did. It feels like an album made by people who know what an Ozzy album should feel like. It has guitar moments that are actually interesting as opposed to the lackluster Ordinary Man, and even though I wish some blues influences were stronger than just the brief solos by the two guests, they add quite some nice nuance that works with what Ozzy is doing. With Black Sabbath's dissolution still feeling recent enough, it's comforting to know that all four original members of the band are still currently alive, and hearing two of them play here (and on stage) is quite a joy. Sure, a lot of my enjoyment is just nostalgia bait, but it works. For all its shortcomings, Patient Number 9 is actually a worthwhile record.

If the worst happens, this is a more fitting end to Ozzy Osbourne's journey than Ordinary Man was. But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he just went on to live forever.

Written on 18.09.2022 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 185 users
18.09.2022 - 16:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good reviev, his early work was good, but as you said not masterpiece. This should be end, Sabbath ended whit relative ok album, ozzy can do same.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2022 - 18:10
Nejde
CommunityManager
Did musclassia ghost write this lengthy review or is this the new radu we'll see in future reviews? Excellent review either way. I also think this album is much better than Ordinary Man. I haven't revisited that album once after the one playthrough it got but this actually has gotten quite a few spins already. As stated in the review the autotune is awful but that has sadly become Ozzy's trademark so we just have to deal with it and accept it. The guests impresses though. Best track: Patient Number 9
18.09.2022 - 18:20
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Nejde on 18.09.2022 at 18:10

Did musclassia ghost write this lengthy review

I will neither confirm nor deny
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
18.09.2022 - 19:07
A Real Mönkey

“But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he just went on to live forever”

If he keeps on making albums like this I’d be perfectly fine with that.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
18.09.2022 - 23:38
Rating: 6
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
I agree with your take on the album (and what it signals) in virtually every respect; I don't think that Ozzy has released an album that was great all the way through since Sabotage, and even his most noteworthy solo material I often find lacking (or at least overplayed to the point that my interest in it is leeching away). I will probably never listen to Patient Number 9 in full a second time, and I doubt I'll ever even come back to the best songs on it - aesthetically, it's about as lifeless as the inside of an autoclave, and the parade of guest guitarists is far more interesting than anything Ozzy himself does throughout. What I'd really like is just one track that features the intro from "Evil Shuffle" and crams all the good solos from the album into one long break where Ozzy doesn't sing.

Having said all that, I don't think it's a bad album. It's definitely interesting enough to warrant one listen and I don't think there's any one track that noticeably sinks below the rest. Most of all, it does feel a lot more ambitious and exciting than Ordinary Man (which is not to take away from the Post Malone and Travis Scott features being among the most unorthodox collaborations in this generation of metal), so as a statement of Ozzy's intent to stick around, I do find it kind of cool. I'm reminded of the sentiments you expressed in your review of Ordinary Man: I don't really "like" this album, but I appreciate that it exists and I hope Ozzy has more in him.

I guess you could say I'll miss him when he's gone more than I like him now that he's here, but I can wait to miss him for a few more albums.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
19.09.2022 - 11:12
Rating: 7
Lord Slothrop

Agreed that this is a much better album than Ordinary Man, and not only because an auto-tuned Post Malone closed out the last album. Most of the tracks are solid, even if the majority are far from great.

However, I would die on that hill vociferously claiming that the first two Ozzy albums are masterpieces, albeit perhaps minor ones. Revelation Mother Earth still gives me chills to this day; and I still think Diary of a Madman is one of the greatest compositions of all time. And I consider the rest as some of the seriously great early eighties metal songs of the era. SATO, Suicide Solution, Crazy Train, I Don't Know, Mr Crowley, Believer, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll... I mean, c'mon; these are all 80s classics. .

Hits total: 2803 | This month: 11