01. Sword Of Orion
02. Call It By Its Name
03. Lost Tribes
04. Echo Of A Lie
05. The Worst Of Us
06. Nocturne / Everything Went Black
07. They Eat Their Young
08. White Ashes

It is a shame that Black Sites have been sort of flying under the radar, what with all this retro / revivalist / rehashing surge of traditional heavy metal. Maybe the reason is that they are not so traditional and simple-sounding. Could it be that they are not ‘true’ enough? Could it be that they are ‘untrue’?

Hailing from Chicago, Black Sites were born from the ashes of Trials, a groove thrash / metalcore band that you need to check out if you haven’t yet, even if you hate the style. Vocalist/guitarist Mark Sugar and guitarist Ryan Bruchert from Trials are joined by Gary Naples of Novembers Doom fame but this time Jose Salazar (ex-Satan's Hallow) is not mentioned anywhere and I have no idea who is in charge of the bass. One of the guitarists is my best guess.

Black Sites call themselves a progressive metal band in the promo sheet but what I hear is heavy metal with progressive tendencies. A lot of different bands and influences are heard in Untrue and that makes it a relatively diverse listen for the style. So, let’s talk about it.

Beginning with underwater sounds and a tension-building drum intro, and with the bass struggling to come out on top, the guitars kick in to create a Voivod-esque quirkiness paired with the aforementioned drumming, and all that is mixed with more traditional heavy metal-sounding guitar licks. “Sword Of Orion” is an excellent #1 track and when the opening melody of “Call It By Its Name” hits you right after, you know this album is going to be enjoyable at the very least. It was also the point when I decided I would review this album. And I didn’t regret it.

Untrue is packed with songs that are consistently good and have many memorable passages. “Echo Of A Lie”, for example, features a surprise in the form of a bridge with symphonic-like singing over a tension-building riff that is followed by one of the album’s best solos. “The Worst Of Us” is probably the most Voivod-homage song on here and I love the clean guitar bridge in its second half as well as the solo that finishes it. “Nocturne / Everything Went Black” starts in a doomy, Black Sabbath-like fashion but goes on to gallop progressively in a Fates Warning path. “They Eat Their Young” is another great track where Mastodon meet Thin Lizzy.

The production is what makes Untrue sound more traditional, kind of Spirit Adrift-y, which is to be expected since it was done by Sanford Parker, who has produced a couple of Spirit Adrift albums among many other bands (including Voivod). I am not a big fan of this sound in regards to the kind of metal Black Sites play; it is warm and organic and vintage and all, but I would have preferred something clearer and crisper for the progressive element of their music to shine more and for the bass to be more audible. The guitars, on the other hand, do sound really good as far as the Voivod-y parts are concerned, and the drums are also treated the way they should.

I expect Untrue to please many metal fans regardless of the style they prefer. The muscular riffs and the delicious melodies drive the music along with the Mastodon-ian drumming, creating a sound that is familiar but not at all old and tired. The vocals could be better though; Sugar has completely abandoned the rasping of the past (I don’t complain) and his voice is serviceable but not really thrilling. Songwriting-wise, I miss the gothic oddball that “Dream Long Dead” on the Exile album was but Black Sites have stuffed enough variety and quality on here to make up for that. In this reviewer’s opinion, this is three out of three for the band.

“Conceived in poison
Never to survive
The light and the darkness will collide
The lost tribes”

Written on 15.10.2021 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 88 users
15.10.2021 - 13:23
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Definitely one of the most forward thinking heavy metal bands around
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
15.10.2021 - 13:43
Rating: 8
musclassia
staff
Yeah, comfortably one of the most impressive efforts in terms of making the trad heavy style sound relevant in 2021, given my general indifference for the style I got quite a bit out of this one
15.10.2021 - 14:25
JoHn Doe
I am very behind with my 2021 albums I have in mind and want to listen, but I will try and give this album a listen soon.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
15.10.2021 - 18:17
nikarg
staff
Written by JoHn Doe on 15.10.2021 at 14:25

I am very behind with my 2021 albums I have in mind and want to listen, but I will try and give this album a listen soon.

I am sure you will enjoy, it is very much to your taste (and mine)
15.10.2021 - 19:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another suprise about your music taste
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.10.2021 - 10:19
nikarg
staff
Written by Bad English on 15.10.2021 at 19:25

What do you mean? This is totally up my alley musically, with a different vocalist and a more modern production it would have made my top 10 of the year.
16.10.2021 - 10:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 16.10.2021 at 10:19

What do you mean? This is totally up my alley musically, with a different vocalist and a more modern production it would have made my top 10 of the year.

This band well somehow if radu would review it would be more somehow
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.10.2021 - 11:43
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 16.10.2021 at 10:50

Written by nikarg on 16.10.2021 at 10:19

This band well somehow if radu would review it would be more somehow

Having listened to a couple of songs, I say this music is more on Nik's alley than Radu's.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
17.10.2021 - 19:48
Jaro
Thank you so much for giving props to Trials, that band put out one particularly excellent rifftastic record - This Ruined World - which all of you should listen to NOW. You WILL headbang.
19.11.2021 - 07:16
Rating: 7
DarkWingedSoul
I will listen to this today at work, together with Radu's delikatessen, Worm and Mortiferum.

Hits total: 1977 | This month: 14